In the present times, not only the fascination for beauty is expressed in the field of Art but it also has the capability and potential to offer much more than that. Opening up of more and more art galleries, exhibitions and appreciation of art as a decorative tool has led to the growth of opportunities in the field of arts.
Development of fine arts was primarily for appreciation and expression of aesthetics. Its practical applications were considered to be negligible. But owing to the globalization, this is developing into a full-fledged profession providing employment to the artists like painters, sculptors etc.
One has many options in Commercial and Fine Arts. There are various courses ranging from sculpture, applied arts, painting, craft, graphic interior design and painting. A professional and formal training can equip the person with various technical skills and a competitive edge in the industry.
Nature of Work
Fine Arts mainly includes:
- Painting: drawing of portraits, murals, sketches, landscapes and abstract designs etc.
- Sculpture: carving of figures, statues, monuments on stone, wood or clay.
Commercial Arts includes:
- Designing: interior designing, mural designing, ceramic designing
- Graphics: photography, lettering, typography and designing of books, packaging, book jackets and covers, newspapers and tabloids, booklets \ brochures, magazines and periodicals, logos, billboards, stamps etc.
The inbuilt aptitude can be sharpened and chiselled by formal training in the field of interest. Degree, diploma and certificate courses are offered by various universities and private institutes.
Bachelor of Fine Arts or BFA is a four year course. The BFA (applied arts) course imparts training in print media, advertising and electronic media.
At the post graduation level the course offered is MFA. The duration of this course is two years. Other than these degree courses there are many diploma and PG Diploma courses available.
For pursuing BFA one should have passed 10+2 level examinations. MFA can be pursued by those who have a BFA degree with them. Specialized branches can be chosen according to interest and aptitude of the student. Online courses are also offered by some of the foreign universities.
Those entering in the field must have creativity, self confidence and love for art. One should be sensitive to the environment around and should have great observational skills. One needs to be aware of the tastes, needs and changing trends of the times.
The artist should be able to work in teams with great amount of communicational skills.
They should have pragmatism, originality and skills to sell. One needs perseverance and may have ability to accept criticism.
After the successful acquiring of a degree or a diploma, one has plethora of employment opportunities in this field. Artists can work as free lancers. Employment can easily be sought in advertising agencies, textile industry and media houses. One can work in art studios and fashion houses. Artists can seek employment in advertising agencies, textile industry and media houses. Besides fine arts professionals can also work in production houses, theatre and drama houses. Those specialized in dancing, music, painting can work independently or on contractual basis. Teaching can also be one of the options. Some of them can also work as art critics and writers on art. Website development companies also offer job opportunities.
There are ample career opportunities available abroad which can be explored too. Exhibitions and auctions of ones creative works can be organized. Workshops can be conducted on fine arts and its related fields.
Many premier institutes in India offer courses in Fine Arts and Commercial Arts. These include:
- Sir J.J. Institute of Applied Art (Mumbai)
- Faculty of Fine Arts (Baroda)
- Kala Bhavan, Shantiniketan
- Jamia Millia Islamia (New Delhi)
- College of Art (New Delhi)
Sir J. J. Institute of Applied Art, Mumbai offers training for various types of Degree and Diploma courses.
The Department Of Painting offers:
- BFA (Painting) 4 years
- Post Degree MFA (Painting) 2 years
- MFA (Painting) (by papers) in Portraiture
- MFA (Painting) in Graphic Art
- MFA (Painting) in Creative Painting.
The Department Of Sculpture And Modelling offers:
- BFA (Sculpture) 4 years
- Diploma Sculpture and Modelling 4 years.
The Department Of Arts And Crafts offers:
- BFA (Craft- Metal Work) 4 years
- BFA (Craft - Textile Design) 4 years
- BFA (Craft- Interior Decoration) 4 years
- BFA (Craft - Ceramics) 4 years.
The Department Of Art offers:
- Teacher Training Art Teacher's Diploma ( A.T.D.) 2 years
- Diploma in Art Education (Dip. A. ED.) 1 year
- Art Master Certificate Course (part-time).
Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune offers the following degree programs:
- Bachelor of Design (B. Des) in Communication Design
- Bachelor of Design (B. Des ) in Product Design
- Bachelor of Design (B. Des) in Fashion Communication
- Bachelor of Design (B. Des) in Fashion Design.
The institute tries to offer an optimum mix of traditional skills, new media skills and soft skills.
Some other universities are:
- Allahabad University, Allahabad
- Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam
- Anna University, Chennai
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Bangalore University, Bangalore
- Goa University, Goa
- Gujarat University, Ahmedabad
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- Karnataka University, Dharwad
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
- Nagpur University, Nagpur
- Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata
- University of Ajmer, Ajmer
- University of Calcutta, Kolkata
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- University of Chennai, Chennai
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai
- University of Rajasthan, Jaipur
- Visva Bharati, West Bengal.
Visualisers may earn from Rs.8000 to Rs.12000 p.m.
An Assistant Art Director may earn from Rs.12000to Rs.20000 p.m.
An Art Director may earn from Rs.25000 to Rs.40000 p.m.
Graphic designers in publishing houses, the print and electronic media and other e-learning businesses can command salaries going into the six-digit category. Working with media and publishing houses, advertising agencies and textile industries can get the candidates pay packages of Rs 12,000 to Rs 25,000 per month. Those who get employment in theatre, drama and production houses can get salary of Rs 8,000 to Rs 20,000 per month. Teachers can also earn well.
The article has been contributed by Ms. Abha Kheterpal. She has been an educationist for past 15 year. She has three masters degrees with her: M.A. in English, M.A Economics and M.Sc Psychotherapy & Counseling and being diverse in her interests, she also holds a Diploma in Computer and Software Applications. She is also a freelance writer with Jagaran Publications. She regularly contributes Career Related articles on CareerAge.com and does Career Counseling.