Since the beginning of human civilization, jewels and jewelery have been an integral part of our lives. They have been regarded as a symbol of wealth and glory. It is also believed that certain kind of gemstones can influence our behavior and our fate as they are to believed to possess some magical powers. Designs and fashions of jewelery and ornaments keep on undergoing a constant change with the changing times. So there has been increasing need of professionals who cater to this demand of designing and manufacturing ornaments and jewelry. In India this industry is emerging as an important source of employment and has lot of potential for growth. Even many foreign brands and companies are tieing up with Indian industry for manufacturing gold and diamond studded jewelery. The exports of gems and jewelery are also increasing.
Nature of Work
Gemology is a subject which deals with gems stones, identifying them ,grading them and sorting them according to their physical properties and values. A gemologist studies about the classification of the natural gem stones and finds the way to prevent their damage. He has to examine their surfaces, internal structure using polariscope and refractometer and grades them according to their color and quality. He can also work as a jewelry designer and can introduce his own line of jewelry, designer watches cufflinks and even tie pins for men. One who becomes a gemologist can specialize as a gem grinder, polisher and even can become a teacher and trainer who can train students in this art.
One who wants to be a gemologist should possess following qualities which may help him specialize in this work:
- a keen eyesight
- aesthetic sense and a sense of color combination
- knowledge of traditional designs
- communicative skills
- an ability to work hard and feel the pulse of the customers
Many jobs and lucrative offers are available in this industry. More and more people are opting for this profession now days. One can work in the following fields
- Designing: a person can become a jewelry designer as the demand for fine product and better quality has been increasing with the changing tastes and fashions. One would have to prepare intricate designs and produce a perfect piece of ornament that would suit evolutionary trends
- Manufacturer/Merchandiser: as a manufacturer one would have to look into the production part of the business and using the stones with utmost care so that their value remains intact and doesn't get damaged while cutting ,polishing and grinding .
- Management: as a manager one can organize the production process as a whole. So one would require to have a proper managerial expertise and a management degree for this
- Research: Those who are interested in research work can do research in the field of gems and their physical properties and characteristics
- Academics: One can also be involved in training and teaching in this field
- Professional Valuer: One can work for insurance companies for appraisal of value of precious and semi precious gemstones
Various colleges and institutions that offer various degrees and diplomas are:
- NIIFT offers a three year diploma in accessory and jewelry deisgn
- Art colleges offer Bachelors/ Masters degree in fine arts(BFA/MFA)
- Indian Institute of Gemology (New Delhi) offers a three and a half month in gemology.
- Indian Diamond Institute and Indian Gemological Institute offer advanced one year fellowship programmes for science and engineering students.
Many certificate courses and diplomas available are:
- Post graduate diploma in diamond technology
- Diploma in diamond processing
- Diploma in diamond trade management
- Certificate course in International System of Diamond Grading
- Certificate course in Grading , Cutting , Bruiting and Polishing etc
- Certificate course in Planning and Marketing
- Certificate course in Hard shape Grooving
- Diploma in Gemology
- Diploma in Colored gemstone Cutting and Polishing
- Courses in Jewelry Design and Machine Cast jewelery
For P.G courses the eligibility is Graduation and for other courses 10+2, Higher secondary or equivalent would be suffice.
Colleges, Institutions and Universities
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) at
- NIFT Campus, near Gulmohar Park, Hauz Khas, New Delhi.
- Tata Mills, Parel, Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- Sector III, Salt Lake City, Kolkata (West Bengal)
- GIDC Electronic Estate, Gandhinagar (Gujarat)
- Chenatha Bhavan, Nampally, Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh)
- Co-optex Building , Egmore Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
- Gemstones Artisans Training School Jhalana Mahal, Jaipur (Rajasthan)
- Gemology Institute of India, 29, Gurukul Chambers, Mumbadevi Road, Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- Indian Gemological Institute, Nirmal Towers, 10th Floor, 26, Barakhamba Road, New Delhi
- St. Xavier's College, Geology Department, 5 Mahapalika Marg, Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- The Jasami Department of Jewellery Design & Manufacture, SNDT University Campus, Santa Cruz, Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- Small Industries Service Institute, 65/1 GST Road, Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
- Indian Diamond Institute, katargam, GIDC, Sumul Dairy Road , Surat (Gujarat)
- Dr. Dhamambal Government Polytechnic for Women, Canada- Indian Institutional Cooperation Project, Thanamani, Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
- The Indian Diamond Institute, Gem & Jewellery EPC, Rajasthan Bhavan, Jaipur (Rajasthan)
- Vakall's Academy of Jewellery Design, 114, Arun Chambers, Tardeo Road, Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- ShriBhaubhai Mafatlal Polytechnic, VileParle W, Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council, Jaipur (Rajasthan)
- Jewellery Design and Training Institute (JDTI), NOIDA (Uttar Pradesh)
- National Institute of Design (NID), Paldi, Ahmedabad (Gujarat)
The pay package in this industry can range from Rs 5,000 to Rs 25,000 depending on the qualification, skill and experience.
The article has been contributed by Ms. Abha Kheterpal. She is double M.A. in English and Economics and is a regular in contributing Career Related articles on CareerAge.com.
You can also contribute to this article or other Career Choices articles. Visit Career Wiki.