| Answer: Certificate, Diploma and PG Diploma courses on counseling are offered by various institutes all over India. For pursuing a PG Diploma in Clinical and Community psychology, you need to have a graduation in Psychology. For admission to diploma program in Guidance & counseling, some institutes prefer candidates with a Bachelors degree in Home Sc., Education or Arts, whereas others admit candidates with a M.A/M.Ed (psychology) degree. Counseling courses also include a certificate course in Guidance. Candidates with M.A degree in Psychology can apply for Diploma program in Vocational Rehabilitation and Counseling and PG Diploma course in Rehabilitation Psychology. Postgraduate candidates can also apply for PG Diploma in Counseling.
Institutions offering courses on counseling:
- The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda in Gujarat
- NCERT in New Delhi
- All India Institute of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation in Maharashtra
Annamalai University in Tamil Nadu
- SNDT Women's University in Maharashtra
University of Madras in Tamil Nadu
- Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya in Madhya Pradesh
- Regional Institute of Education in Madhya Pradesh
- Regional Institute of Education in Karnataka
As far as Translation work is concerend, linguistics is becoming increasingly important in cognitive science, artificial intelligence and computation. Linguistics is making valuable contributions to computer speech synthesis and recognition and in building corpora in Indian languages.
Apart from traditional areas of pre-school & elementary education and foreign language teaching, linguistics is helpful for those specialising in any field where language plays an important part, such as communications, audiology and speech therapy, communication disorders, computer science, law, philosophy, translation, lexicography and mass-media. If you interested to pursue studies in this field,the department of Applied Linguistics SNDT, Churchgate conducts the following courses:
- A two-year M A in applied linguistics: The course offers placement as well as develops self-employment possibilities
- A one-year postgraduate diploma in applied linguistics
- Diploma in translation (course duration: 48 hours)
- Several other credit based postgraduate programmes.
- Indira Gandhi Open University, Delhi offers Postgraduate Diploma in Translation. The aim of the course is to impart skills required for translation between English and Hindi. The eligibility criterion is graduation with English and Hindi or graduation in Hindi medium with English as a subject. The medium of instruction is Hindi. For details, log on to www.ignou.ac.in
- Andhra University, School of Distance Education, Andhra Pradesh offers PG Diploma in Translation. The eligibility criterion is graduation in any discipline with Telugu as mother tongue or any degree with Telugu as a subject. For details, log on to www.andhrauniversity.info
- University of Hyderabad, Centre for Distance Education, Andhra Pradesh offers Postgraduate Diploma in Translation Studies in Hindi. The eligibility criterion is Graduation in any discipline. For details, log on to www.uohyd.ernet.in
- Annamalai University, Directorate of Distance Education, Tamil Nadu offers MA in Translation Studies. The eligibility criterion is graduation in any discipline. For details, log on to www.annamalaiuniversity.ac.in
Speech Therapy is an allied branch of health sciences which cure the disorder of speech, voice, and language of a person. The branch speech therapy and audiology has become a promising career option in recent times. A person who has a degree or diploma in speech therapy is called a speech therapist. The growing awareness among people to treat speech and auditory disorders has increased the demand for these experts. In daily practice, a speech therapist works with people who have difficulty speaking, forming words or sounds, or who are recovering from injury or illness that has affected their ability to communicate verbally.
Anyone interested in taking up this field as a career option can go in for training at the graduate level itself. All that is required is a science background at the intermediate level. Three year B.Sc. courses in Speech Therapy and Audiology of three years may be pursued. For specialization in a certain area, they may opt for the master's course after graduation.
All the best
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research
Sector 12Chandigarh 160012
Course: B.Sc Audiology and Speech & Language
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
New Delhi 110029
Course: BSc Speech Therapy and Hearing, MSc Speech Pathology and Audiology
- Gujarat University
Navrangpura, Ahmedabad 880009, Gujarat
Course: Diploma in Audiology and Speech Therapy
- University of Bombay
Ali Yavar Jung National Institutefor the Hearing Handicapped
Kishen Chansd Marg,
Bandra (West) Mumbai 400050
Course: B.Sc. Hearing & Language M.Sc Hearing Speech and Language
- TN Medical College
BYL Nair Charitable Hospital
Mumbai 400008 Course: BSc Speech & Hearing M.Sc